Why do atoms form chemical bonds?
Why most atoms are chemically bonded to other atoms in nature?
The attractive force which holds the atoms together to form a compound or molecule is called a Chemical bond.
- Every system in the universe tends to lower its energy, in order to attain stability.
- Water flows from a higher level to a lower level.
- Similarly, electricity flows from higher potential to lower potential and heat flows from a hot body to a cold body.
- This happens because both water and electricity are trying to decrease their energy.
- Atoms in the same way have a tendency to decrease their energy.
- The energy of isolated hydrogen atoms is higher than the two bonded hydrogen atoms.
- That is, the combination of atoms gives a stable molecule through the emission of energy.
- They can decrease the energy by combining with other atoms and forming a chemical bond.
H + H –> H—H –>H2
Cl +Cl –> Cl—Cl –>Cl2
It is concluded from the above-mentioned reason that atoms form a chemical bond.
Continue Reading !!