Kinetic Molecular Theory of Gases:
The kinetic molecular theory of gases explains the physical behaviour of gases.
Main Principles of Kinetic Theory of Gases:
It has the following main principles or postulates.
- All gases consist of molecules which are widely separated from each other.
- Space occupied by gas molecules is negligible as compared to space among gas molecules. i.e. the volume of gas molecules is negligible as compared to the volume of the gas.
- The gas molecules are in constant and random motion, while doing so they collide with each other as well as with a wall of the container.
- Gases exert pressure due to the collision of their molecules with the wall of the container.
- Gas molecules make elastic collisions.
- No forces of attraction among gas molecules exist.
- The average kinetic energy of gas molecules is directly proportional to absolute temperature
- Av. K.E α T
- Two gases at the same temperature have equal average kinetic energy.
- Gravity has no influence on gas molecules.
-> Class 11 Chemistry Full book pdf